Friday, January 30, 2015

A Modern Psalm


"He is a sane man who can have tragedy in his heart and comedy in his head." 
-G.K. Chesterton



--

Hauntings of Hurt


It catches up to you, I think

While sitting up, awake

When shifting winds that kept our gaze

Abruptly cease to take

And you are left, with broken heart

and time that’s left you dry

A prayer, a jolt of fervency,

You compensate in cry.


How to regain what's ever-lost?

What cure is there for more?

It’s times like these I need to 

feel the God who can restore.


So powerless, I scratch and claw

and fight for things unsaid.

I feel the things I wish I felt

In the heat of day instead.


Too much is lost to be regained

My breath, a measured clock

My feeble knees, the tears we’ve shed

Hauntings of hurt kept stock.


To wish things took a different course?

There’s much we’d never know.

Our limping feet, our aching wounds

Cliche, caused us to grow.


My soul unready

Mind unsafe

Still something in me floats

Surpassing understanding

The peace, assurance, hope.


This ground is cracked

of that, I’m sure

My fingers cannot mend

or fill, or catch, or reverse time, 

to will our lives not bend.


I’m looking now, as through a sieve

And seeing now in part

What one day will be seen in full

Each piece of my worn heart.


--


Sing praise to the Lord, you saints of His,
And give thanks at the remembrance of His holy name.
For His anger is but for a moment,
His favor is for life;
Weeping may endure for a night,
But joy comes in the morning.
(Psalm 30:4-5)

And God will wipe away every tear from their eyes; there shall be no more death, nor sorrow, nor crying. There shall be no more pain, for the former things have passed away.
(Revelation 21:4)


1 comment:

  1. A poignant prayer that resonates with me. "It catches up to you I think.....still something in me floats." Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete