Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Higher Ground


You listen to the music but 
the music makes you feel
Reveals impressions from within
You didn’t know were hidden beneath
the skin.

Our outermost layer seems thicker than it really is, somehow.

We think that it can hide all that resides,
We cover and nurture our covering 
More than we do our own thoughts,
To try our hand at protecting those.

Some will say songs are songs
Just vibrations,
Nouns and verbs

And the things we hear,
They’re just sounds, combined
They’re just words aligned.

But when the right place meets the right space
Our ears give way to steps
Give way to action.

And these words I heard
Mixed with beat and harmony
Gave rise to my spirit’s melody,
to its comedy and tragedy.

I can’t say I’m happy for it,
and I won’t say that I’m not,
But it’s nice to see You here -
Thanks for meeting me,
just in time.

And if You would be so kind 
as to sing Your song to me,
Your dear heart’s whispering

And take my flimsy skin
And plastic case
My unsaid hurts
And just replace
All that is false
And fake I’ve found
And lead these sounds
To higher ground.

Source

--

For my thoughts are not your thoughts,
    neither are your ways my ways, declares the Lord.

For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
    so are my ways higher than your ways
    and my thoughts than your thoughts. (Isaiah 55:8-9)

No comments:

Post a Comment